Boy, do I love quinoa. Note: pronounced keen-wa not keen-o-wa. Vegetarians are crazy about this whole grain, being a gluten free great source of protein, with one cup of quinoa boasting 8.14 grams of protein. To put that into perspective, the average woman requires about 46 grams of protein per day. It has definitely become a very popular grain even for non-vegetarians, being low in fat and high in nutrients, it is replacing the traditional rice or couscous in many recipes.
This salad is so delicious – I just have to share.
Fresh Quinoa Salad Recipe
Served this for Easter dinner of 8 – cut recipe in half to serve 4.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 red peppers, diced (feel free to use yellow or green)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped mint, minced
- 3 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A pinch of garlic powder
- Kosher sea salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse 2 cups of quinoa under water for 5 minutes. (Or, follow instructions for the quinoa you are using.)
- Pour 2 cups of quinoa into a saucepan with 3 1/2 cups of water. Usually, the packaging will call for doubling the liquid to quinoa, but I like to use a little less liquid for perfectly cooked quinoa. I also like to add the quinoa with the water all at once (don’t wait for water to boil first). Sprinkle with garlic powder, kosher sea salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring all to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, lower heat to low, keep covered and simmer for 10 minutes, or until liquid is completely absorbed.
- Chop the red peppers, cucumber, cranberries, onion, mint and toss into a large bowl.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, lay it out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to allow it to cool a little quicker.
- After about 10 minutes, add the cooled quinoa to the vegetables using a large spoon.
- Add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, juice from 1 lemon. Stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Taste it. If you agree this works for you, perfect, if not, add a little more apple cider vinegar.