This is a rich, warming meal with a touch of spice for those evenings where you need a little comfort food. I used a red rice simply because I love vibrant, colourful dishes. Red vita rice is an ancient grain which has been harvested in Thailand since the sixth century. It has a really nice nutty flavour, and a deep burgundy colour.
Coconut Curry Bowl Recipe
Makes 8 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, washed, peeled, and sliced
- 2 zucchinis, washed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 cups red vita rice (you can use basmati as an alternative)
- Kosher sea salt to taste
- Rinse the rice under cold filtered water for ten minutes.
- In a saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and let cook on low heat for about 30 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Heat the coconut oil in a seperate large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, curry powder, and a pinch of sea salt and stir occassionally for 10 minutes. Careful not to burn the curry, add a splash of water if it is sticking to the bottom of your saucepan.
- Add the zucchini, chickpeas, and coconut milk.
- Cook for another 10 minutes (uncovered) or until your carrots are completely cooked through.
- Serve on a bed of rice, and enjoy.