I cannot take credit for thinking up this incredible dish myself, it was adapted from The Happy Herbivore, one of my favourite vegan cookbooks.The flavours in this recipe are so wonderful, from the sweetness of the mango, to the lemony cilantro, to the spiciness of the teriyaki. Your tastebuds will be aroused! We find ourselves still talking about how delicious this meal is hours after we’re done eating. It’s really that good.
Hawaiian Chickpea Teriyaki with Mango + Pineapple Salsa Recipe
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients – Chickpea Teriyaki:
- 2 large cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce, I love preservative-free Veri Veri Teriyaki
- 2 tablespoons sriracha hot sauce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup whole sesame seeds
Ingredients – Mango & Pineapple Salsa:
- 2 cups mango, diced
- 2 cups pineapple, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 cup red onion, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Start with the salsa. In a large bowl, mix together the mango, pineapple, onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Set aside.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, combine chickpeas, teriyaki sauce, hot sauce and sesame seeds.
- Stirring occasionally, let the chickpeas marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat once most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve over cooked brown rice, and top with a couple of spoonfuls of mango + pineapple salsa.
I encourage you to pick up a copy of The Happy Herbivore here, it is packed with delicious, nutritious, inspiring, vegan meals.