Seeing that we had several very ripe bananas in our kitchen, we got to baking muffins and loafs not to let them go to waste. So, you’ll notice a few recipes all surrounding bananas these days.
These muffins are the best vegan recipe I’ve ever tried. They originate from my favourite vegan cook and author, Jae Steele, from her book Get It Ripe (what a cute title, right!) We baked a dozen yesterday, and aside from a few crumbs, there are no traces of them today. They are that good.
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
Makes 12 delicious muffins
- 1 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 medium bananas)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil (or coconut oil, or olive oil)
- 2/3 cup non-dairy semi-sweet chocolate chips (I always use these)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tray with paper liners, or my favourite, reusable, silicone liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the banana, syrup, and oil to the dry mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Portion the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove, let cool for about 5-10 minutes, then go ahead and indulge!