This recipe was created from a love for kale and the appreciation of simple weeknight meals. It can be easily vegan-ized, by skipping the fresh parmesan cheese. I would also recommend opting for kamut or spelt pasta noodles, but in a bind and an effort not to waste, we used what we had which was traditional penne.
Penne with Kale + Sautéed Vegetables Recipe
Makes 6 servings
- 1 package penne noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 bunch kale, coarse stems removed, leaves sliced or simply torn into pieces
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups porcini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher sea salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add kale and boil for two minutes. Remove kale using tongs so you can use reserved water to boil your pasta.
- Place kale in a bowl of cold water and let it blanch (retain dark green colour and tenderize the kale) as you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Cook pasta noodles in the reserved water according to the packaging instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add garlic and sauté until barely starting to turn golden and fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, red peppers, chili flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper. Keep sautéing until red pepper has softened and mushrooms are a delicious darker brown, about 10 minutes.
- Combine the cooked pasta, drained kale, and vegetables in the pot you used to cook the pasta and kale. Drizzle with olive oil, and toss to combine.
- Serve and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional).