This is one of my favourite quick and healthy weeknight meals. You can have the whole thing ready on the table in less than 30 minutes. If you’re new to tempeh, I wrote about it here! A delicious and hearty food, tempeh also provides you with almost half of your daily recommended intake of protein with just 4 ounces. Another simple protein source! So, here is the super easy recipe!
Sweet + Spicy Tempeh Wraps Recipe
Makes 3-4 wraps
- 1 package of tempeh, about 250 grams (I used this basil tempeh in the recipe)
- 3 tablespoons hot sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, washed and shredded using a mandoline
- 1 sweet red pepper, washed and sliced
- 8-10 leaves of romaine lettuce, or any greens of your choice, washed and dried
- Kamut tortilla wraps
- Slice the tempeh into 3/4 inch pieces. You should have 7-8 pieces. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat one tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for one minute. Add red pepper and saute for about 2-3 minutes. You still want the peppers to remain crunchy.
- Remove the red pepper using tongs, so that you reserve the garlic and remaining oil.
- Add the other tablespoon of coconut oil, tamari, hot sauce, and brown sugar. Stir.
- Add the tempeh, pieces spread out on skillet.
- Fry on each side for about 5 minutes, making sure the tempeh pieces are well covered with the sauce mixture.
- Remove from heat when golden brown, about 10 minutes total.
Assembling the wraps:
- Lay out one tortilla wrap.
- Place shredded carrots, tempeh, and red peppers in rows on the tortilla. Top with a few leaves of lettuce.
- Add some extra hot sauce if you like it really spicy (like my husband).
- Wrap it up, and enjoy!