I love baking. It usually involves a lot of chocolate and sweetness. Today I decided to go for a more savoury flavour in a muffin to change things up. These muffins offer you a bit more nutrition than what you imagine when you think ‘muffin’. They are great for breakfast, or even as a side, like a biscuit, with your dinner.
Savoury Zucchini Muffins Recipe
Makes a dozen muffins
- 1 cup whole kamut flour (or wholewheat flour)
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 200 ml regular almond milk or soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 2 zucchini, grated
- a handful (about 10) fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and oil a 12 cup muffin tray or line with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until partly combined. Do not overmix so as not to make the muffins tough.
- Add the zucchini and basil and fold through.
- Spoon into muffin trays and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden. Remove from trays and let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.