Summer weather has finally arrived in Montreal. I’ve been creating so many different summer salads and this one was made on a weeknight in a jiffy. Super easy, quick, and nutritious. It is also quite versatile; you can substitute the cannellini beans with red or black beans. You can also substitute the spinach with steamed kale or other greens of your choice.
Here is the exact recipe I came up with which worked perfectly on a nice summer night. Note, when using canned vegetables, I try (and suggest) using organic and BPA-free wherever possible..
Summer Couscous Salad Recipe
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/2 can organic whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 can organic cannellini beans, rinsed
- 3 organic carrots, washed, diced
- 1 package (300 grams) organic baby spinach, washed, dried
- 1 yellow bell pepper, washed, diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the couscous as per packaging instructions. Set aside and let cool.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot, oregano, salt and pepper and sauté for approximately 10 minutes. Add yellow pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes or until carrot and pepper have both slightly softened.
- Add spinach along with tomatoes and juice and sauté for 3-4 more minutes, crushing tomatoes with your spatula.
- In a large bowl, add couscous, top with vegetable mixture and cannellini beans.
- Toss to combine.
- Serve warm or allow to cool first. Either way tastes great.