One of my favourite meals to prepare and indulge in are rice bowls of almost any variation. My husband loves these as well. It’s one of the funnest things to experiment with, you can hardly ever go wrong. If you’ve got beans, greans, veggies, and rice – you’re all set. My little guy and I loved this one just the way it was, but my husband liked it a little spicier and topped it with a few dollops of sriracha sauce. It is gluten-free, vegan, low in fat, high in protein, fiber and antioxidants, and not to mention tasty and hearty. Here it is.
Lemony Lentil + Kale Rice Bowl Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups dry lentils, washed and sorted
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 3 carrots, washed, peeled, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, washed, seeds removed, diced
- 1 onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 bunch kale (approx. 1 lb), stems removed, washed, torn into pieces
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups good quality vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add rice, cover, turn down heat and let cook for approximately 35 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, and red pepper and sauté for approximately 10 minutes.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes and vegetable stock. Add your spices and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then pour in the lentils. Turn heat down to low, cover the pot and allow to cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Add the kale to the lentil mixture. Stir and let the kale wilt to your liking. It will only take a few minutes.
- Add lemon juice. Stir.
- Do a taste test. Add a pinch more of sea salt or black pepper if desired.
- To assemble: spoon rice into a bowl, top with kale and lentil mixture.