I love a good breakfast bar, but a good quality organic variety from the store is usually quite pricey per piece and is commonly still loaded with sugar. Although I love my sweets, I much prefer bars that are not too sweet at all, especially for breakfast. Besides, refined sugar is terrible for you. I made a batch of these simple, not-too-sweet bars by Jae Steele, holistic nutritionist, vegan cook and author, from her book Get It Ripe. I changed the recipe ever so slightly, only because I wanted to use what I had in the pantry, and I was missing some other ingredients. These bars are vegan, nightshade free, nut free, and sugar free, which is just an added plus aside from the tastiness.
Chewy Fruit Breakfast Bars Recipe
Makes 14 bars
- 3 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup flax seeds, partially ground in a coffee grinder
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons oat bran (if you have amaranth, you can use 2 tbsp of that).
- 1/2 cup whole grain flour (I used kamut)
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread the oats onto a baking sheet and toast them for 20 minutes, turning once halfway making sure they do not brown. Remove from oven and set aside. Turn down heat to 325°F.
- In a small pot, combine the water, flax seeds and 2 tablespoons oat bran or amaranth. Over high heat, bring all to a boil, stir, then turn down heat to a simmer for 8 minutes. You will notice it get nice and thick.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining oat bran, flour, coconut, cranberries, sunflower seeds, cinnamon and salt. Add toasted oats to bowl, along with the syrup, oil, zest, and flaxseed mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Lightly oil an 11x7x2 inch baking pan. Transfer mixture into pan, pressing down evenly. Score into 14 bars (1 cut lengthwise, and 6 cuts widthwise).
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.
- Store in an airtight container on your countertop for 4-5 days.
Did I mention they’re also kid friendly?