Have you ever created something totally delicious in the kitchen that you weren’t expecting to be noteworthy, so you didn’t keep track of ingredients, no photos, no intentions of blogging it? That happened to me a while back with a version of this meal. Tonight I had a spaghetti squash in the fridge and thought back to that amazing meal. I vaguely remember what it consisted of, but decided to recreate it as best I can. It turned out so tasty, I highly recommend this one! As for the original creation, we’ll just never really know.
With this meal, you get an added bonus of a healthy snack to munch on while you’re cooking – by simply roasting the squash seeds! To do this, simply wash away the pulp from the seeds, toss the seeds in a bowl with 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon olive oil and a dash of sea salt. Pop in the oven on a small baking sheet while you’re cooking the squash, but remove after 10 minutes, or when you see them beginning to brown and get crunchy. You only get about a handful of seeds, but they’re so tasty and well worth it!
Spaghetti Squash With Tomato Ragout + Lima Beans Recipe
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 spaghetti squash, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds scooped out
- 1 can lima beans (can be substituted with white kidney beans, or other beans of your choice)
- 4 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drizzle sliced spaghetti squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place onto a baking sheet, rind face up. Place in the oven.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, being careful not to brown the garlic.
- Add tomatoes, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir and allow to cook for 20 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add lima beans after 20 minutes, and cook for another 10 minutes to allow them to heat up.
- Using a fork, scoop out the stringy pulp from spaghetti squash and place on a large dish.
- Top with bean and tomato mixture.
- Serve immediately.