How is everyone handling the Christmas hustle and bustle? Did you wish for a white Christmas, because you will have it! It’s been snowing relentlessly in Montreal. Everything is covered in a white blanket. The last couple of weeks have been a little nuts for me, trying to wrap up work so I can take time off. It feels so great to have all this time to spend with family and friends now. I have spent the last few days wrapping up last minute gifts and details for our Christmas dinner. Today I spent the afternoon making homemade granola as gifts for our family. Tomorrow, I will also be making homemade vegan chocolate snowballs (keep an eye out for that post) and cookies with Sonny to leave for Santa. I love the idea of giving homemade gifts, as I find they are so well received. I wish I wasn’t so late in starting, I would have loved to make more! I’ve been seeing so many amazing DIY Christmas gifts on here!
So, if you are still looking for simple last minute homemade gift ideas, I highly recommend this granola. Not only is it super delicious, it is healthy, vegan, and looks oh so cute in a bell jar. Oh, and it clumps into nice and crispy big clusters, which is a must for me when it comes to granola!
Homemade Organic Granola
Adapted from Oh She Glows
Makes approx. 6 cups
If possible, buy organic ingredients.
- 2 1/2 cups extra thick rolled oats
- 1 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons raw peanut butter
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- handful of pepita seeds
- Preheat oven to 300°F. In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the wet ingredients. Stir well. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a very large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the wet mixture while warm over the dry mixture and stir well. Stir everything until well combined. It is thick and a little difficult, but keep stirring to combine all ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread granola onto the lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Stir the granola every 15 minutes to ensure even baking.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes. As the granola cools, it will stiffen up. Break it apart into large chunks then place into a large bowl and stir in the raisins, cranberries, and pepita seeds.
- Place in a jar, add ribbon and a label, and voila, you have yourself a super cute, delicious tasting, healthy granola Christmas gift!
- If you have leftovers, you can keep it in the fridge for up to a month in an airtight container.
Have a very Merry Christmas, everyone! Enjoy the time you have with your family and friends and try to squeeze in some rest and relaxation.