I am way too excited about this recipe. I have entered a time machine and gone back to my childhood. The only difference is, I’m not eating yellow #5 and #6. And it doesn’t come out of a box. Even if you’re not buying Kraft Dinner, homemade versions of mac and cheese are usually loaded with butter, cheese and other unhealthy ingredients. This mac and cheese is 100% vegan and so healthy! I’m just smiling ear to ear knowing what I used to make it, and seeing how much my family loved it. I think you’re all going to love this one just as much as we did.
The cheese in this recipe is a combination of roasted sweet potato, mustard and nutritional yeast. The result is a nostalgic mac and cheese with a grown up edge and a rich, creamy, and satisfying dish! My son pushed the mushrooms aside, but I couldn’t resist them.
Roasted Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
For the mac and cheese:
- 500 grams gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 3 cups), cubed
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon tamari (or regular soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- For garnish: a handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
For the mushrooms:
- 8 ounces mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place sweet potato cubes onto lightly greased baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Place in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until tender, turning once half way through.
- In the meanwhile, boil your pasta according to packaging instructions. Drain and place pasta back in the pot.
- In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice, dijon, garlic powder, chili flakes, nutritional yeast, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small pan, sauté mushrooms in oil on medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven (don’t turn off the heat) and add sweet potatoes to the bowl with all your seasonings and almond milk. Mash well, combining all ingredients. Don’t worry if you have a few clumps. If the mixture is a little too thick, add another splash of almond milk.
- Add macaroni noodles to the bowl, and fold all ingredients together. Spoon all into a casserole dish, top with mushrooms and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove and sprinkle freshly chopped parsley overtop. Dig in!