If your mornings are anything like mine, they don’t offer too much time before we need to scurry off to preschool and work. My son, like me, also doesn’t have much of an appetite first thing in the morning. Smoothies have come to the rescue, for both of us. He’s always liked fruity smoothies, who doesn’t, but he was a little reluctant when he saw a bunch of baby spinach leaves going into this morning’s smoothie. I guaranteed him this drink was packed with all the awesome things that make him strong and healthy. Moments later we had a green-smoothie-guzzling boy. You really don’t taste the spinach in here, it’s just an added antioxidant bonus! It also doesn’t need any sweetener, as the fruit is sweet enough. If you don’t have flax seeds, go ahead and use chia seeds, but don’t skip this ingredient. It’s another one of those amazing hidden ingredients which you do not taste but are bursting with nutrients like omega-3 and fiber.
Berry Green Breakfast Smoothie
Makes approx. 2 cups
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup organic baby spinach
- 1 cup organic strawberries
- 1/2 cup organic blueberries
- 1 small organic banana
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- Combine all ingredients into a blender. Let your child do the whizzing, it works wonders in helping them eat/drink what they help prepare.
- Drink immediately, enjoy!