Growing up, one of my favourite things to have for dinner was breakfast. It’s so fun for kids and I truly enjoy it just as much now, as a grown up (gulp). I wasn’t too sure how my little guy would react to scrambled tofu instead of eggs, but it was a great success. It’s amazing what a little turmeric can do to give the tofu such a great colour. Although I made these for dinner, they make a great breakfast or even lunch (I reheated them today and they were delicious).
Who doesn’t like a breakfast burrito, right? I wanted to show the nutritional value of this vegan version compared to a typical egg burrito. I live for super tasty food that is also nutritious. Here is what it looks like:
So, as you see you’re still getting a high protein breakfast, but one which is vegan and cholesterol-free! Ready in about 25 minutes.
Scrambled Tofu + Kale Breakfast Burritos
Makes 5-6 burritos
- 6 flat breads (I used whole wheat and flax)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 14 oz block extra firm tofu, pressed for 10 minutes, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Turn on oven to the lowest heat, place flat breads on a baking sheet, and pop in the oven to heat while you prepare the tofu scramble.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the bell pepper and kale and continue sauteéing until the kale is slightly wilted, approx. 5 more minutes.
- Add crumbled tofu to the pan, along with the nutritional yeast, turmeric, sage, cumin, salt and pepper and fold all to combine. Heat for another 2 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Spoon tofu scramble onto warmed flat bread. Fold into a burrito, serve, and enjoy!